Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Chicken (hella) Noodle Soup!

Hello again!

I've been so neglectful and I'm determined to work on this again! If I could I would rewind like, a year and a half just so I could recount everything I've made. Oh well, too bad, so sad! So here is my promise, to start this up again, starting..now!

Tonight for dinner I made Chicken (hella) Noodle Soup! Who doesn't like chicken noodle soup?! My deal with chicken noodle soup is that it's always on the salty side and there's never enough noodle! I mean, if I had my way it would be a like 45:55, chicken to noodle. (That adds up right? Hey! I'm a food person, not a math person!) Anyways, Mom and Pop Yee came down this easter weekend and brought me frozen, uncooked chicken. (I am a poor college student right?) I decided (after a very tough statistics midterm) to pair my frozen chicken with ham (from roommate Lisa's easter weekend), a mixture of veggies and onions and a TON of noodles for dinner! (*The noodles sorta happened on accident..I pour really fast! A small fault of mine*)
So to make my Chicken (hella) Noodle Soup you'll need (in accordance to what you feel necessary, to heck with exact measurements!)
-Frozen Chicken
-Chopped Carrots
-Diced Onions
-Garlic salt (or powder if you prefer)
-Olive Oil
-Diced Ham
-Water! (or a ready-made broth)

To start the broth I mixed: Carrots, Onions, Ham and Water! (If you're using water instead of a broth, add more ham! Trust me!) Get this boiling while you bake the chicken. I cut the chicken so they were still in their fillet shape, just a little thinner, placed it on a baking sheet and sprinkled a mixture of Olive Oil and Garlic salt on them. Shove that in the oven for about 15 minutes. (You can worry about over drying, but don't worry cause like a sponge it'll "un-dry" in the soup!)
PASTA TIME! Even though I loovee me some extra noodles, it's okay if you don't. I won't judge. So prepare pasta just as you would normally. I typically turn the stove off when the noodles are on the brink of ready, this'll make sure that your noodles will nice and Alllll Dent-Ay. (Al dente for your Italian speakers...and if you speak Italian you sure as heck shouldn't be taking notes from me!)
After your chicky is all baked and cooked thoroughly (you can check
by slicing a thiickk piece to make sure it's NOT raw) cut it up into bite sized pieces or steak strips if you prefer, but that would just be weird in a soup...right? Toss your chicky pieces into your soup and let it hang out for a while on low. Season to taste!
I told you there were a TON of noodles up in here!
Simple right? Right.
I don't know what's wrong with this picture, it was...cute...
Soup Facts:
-Most soup bases are made of a Mirepoix. This is a stock made of: celery, onions, carrots and water and boiled until your house smells like YUM! This is a typical base for any kind of soup...creamy soups, sick-curing soups or rainy day soups!
-A can of chicken noodle soup (from the store) has, on average, approximately 1/3rd of your daily intake of sodium. So remember to chase it with lots of water and don't eat the whole can! And just think, if you make myyy soup, all the cutting and stirring will suurree burn calories and there is for sure less sodium in it! Then again, it's sooo yummy I might just want to eat it all!

So enjoy and be merry!

Kitchen Tunes for Today: Anyway you Want It- Journey


No comments:

Post a Comment